Monday, April 24, 2017

Honesty Flower or Lunaria annua.

Love this little plant....it blooms rather inconspicuously at this time of year (well, if you can call magenta flowers inconspicuous) but it is its amazing seed pod that it is known for.  Which of course I can't show you now, because it's just now flowering....well, you see the problem.  Still I'm sure you're all familiar with it. It is apparently native to the Balkans and southwest Asia, but it has naturalized throughout the temperate world.  And it is having a go beside the driveway in my yard, in



a small, fairly wild patch filled with rosa rugosa, snowberries, native goat's beard and a holly tree (ok, not so wild).  And now this sweet thing is trying to bloom.  It will have to fight off the deer, however, that are constantly pruning my unfenced front yard.  (And I live in the city, honestly....deer, raccoons, rabbits....what next?!)  Anyway I hope it makes it because I do love the seed pods.  We'll see.

In the meantime, I snapped this shot this morning (loving my iPhone!!) and played with it in Photoshop.  (Content from 2lil owls and Anna Aspnes)

Another beautiful sunny day.  No complaints from this end!!!  It's all good.
Thanks for stopping by.  I'll be back.

4 comments:

  1. I know this plant as Honesty, I think. It was a great favourite of my much-loved grandmother's and so I think of it with much pleasure. We have none growing in our garden here but are currently engaged in remodelling some over-grown flower beds and will add it to our list of annuals to plant once soil is visible! Thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Margaret. Do try and fit in some of these plants.....so lovely in winter arrangements! And fun to stitch with or draw into sketchbooks!

      Delete
  2. We used to call it Money Plant as kids...the seed pods sort of look like money disks! Let the sun shine on!! Good to hear from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, I used to call it Money Plant as well! And yes, let's hear it for these gorgeous sunny days!

      Delete