Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A stitched piece

A stitched piece that was also included in the exhibition, that was initially a part of my level two machine stitch class.  For that class, we had to make a book of several pieces of our work.  The book was stitched together as well, and I used painted timtex to create it, although this piece is surrounded by black felt because I couldn't get a dark enough black using the dye-na-flow colours.  BUT I see that my camera is doing it's picture-splitting thing again....well, it's in the process that delivers the pictures from my camera card to the computer....I don't know quite why it's doing that and  I'll have to ask my hi-tech sons what's going on.  In the meantime, I created this piece by first stamping with thickened dye onto cotton, then placing synthetic organza on top and stitching on that, with the addition of some hand-made cords.  The final step, always a heart stopper, was to take a heat gun and burn away some of the organza. It is a fun process, and the heart stopping part aside, it's very exciting to see how it will finally end up.  Living on the wild side....oh dear, what does that say about my life when burning away organza is a highlight!!! 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. Loved it when I made it bigger and could see the piece "up close".

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Laura. I like that feature in blogs that let me see pictures close up. marny

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful Marny! So talented, you are! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. tks bronwen. it was lovely to see you at the exhibition. hope you're stitching up a storm!!!
    marny

    ReplyDelete