Monday, October 10, 2011

Holiday weekends

A busy week looking after wee grandsons and pretending to do housework and then I had company for the weekend.  Beautiful fall weather and then some drenching rain.  More fall weather!  I am working on the drawings for my sketchbook class and really enjoying it.  Check out the Kemshall's site for more information.  http://www.lindakemshall.com/  And do check out their Design Matters TV and the free tasters.  I do subscribe to Designmatter TV and I really enjoy it.  Have a look.

This is a paper piece I painted with procion dyes.  All of the paper here is rice paper.  It was first rubbed with crayons to create a resist and then painted over with the dyes.  Afterwards the piece was cut in two and then further cut into strips.  I re-arranged the strips, alternating each one, and moved around every other strip to achieve the result shown here.  I am quite pleased with the effect.  I did find that the dye tended to run as I was gluing down each strip, as procion will do, so I had to be very careful to work quickly.  I don't think I would have achieved the same painted results had I used acrylics, however.

I am taking another on-line class with Jane Davies that is to start next week.  http://www.janedaviesstudios.com/
The class is Text and Image and looks as if it will be really interesting.  I'll be a week late starting it, however,  because I am off to Coupeville next Monday to take a class with Kerr Grabowski. I have never taken a class with her but I hear she is terrific.  I`m looking forward to it.

OK!  It's good to be busy, but is possible that I am out of my mind!!!   Yet again!

I'll post pictures from both of the workshops.  But then, that is all still a week away.  The murphy bed is folded back up into the wall and the guest room is ready to become my painting studio again!  I`d really like to get some painting play in before I head off again next week.  We`ll see!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marny - I like the depth you've created with this piece and I think it's great you're so immersed in doing what you love. Yvonne

    ReplyDelete