Sunday, January 25, 2015

In Progress - Stitching onto gelatin printed fabrics

I have spent a couple of days starting the stitching onto a piece I've put together using some of my gelatin plate printed fabrics.  I'm still not sure how I feel about the Versatex inks.  I find that some of the applications have resulted in a very plastic-feeling fabric and I find the hand of the fabric has been altered in a most unpleasant way!  I have had to experiment using different feet on my sewing machine because some of them tended to drag quite badly on the fabric surface.  Not fun.  But I seem to have settled on a foot-fabric combination that is working for the moment so I have made a start.




I have also been doing some hand sewing onto the fabrics but once again, the plastic-feeling layers are not much fun to stitch through.  The sewing machine is much more successful and my fingers don't hurt so much!!

I am also experimenting a bit with how to put all the disparate pieces of fabric together into one piece without actually doing any piecing.  And then how to marry all the various images so that they work as one larger piece.  It's kind of a fun challenge and I hope I can rise to it.  You can see the edges of the fabric in the second image.....I'll show you another image later on and you can decide if they have come together well or not!!!  A friend has a wonderful saying, that I think she said she got from her father:  'It's far from good but good from far.'  Works here!!

I'll be back with more thoughts on all this.....

6 comments:

  1. You end with a lovely saying ... one to remember when things textile don't quite go according to plan ... though having said that, the pieces you show have a lovely delicate and nostalgic feel to them so I don't think it applies to your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret...that's very kind of you and very encouraging!! I shall push on...

      Delete
  2. Brava, Marny! These are looking fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanie!!! Aren't we the busy ones!!!

      Delete
  3. Good morning Marny ! I love the look of this quilt ! I hope that you can achieve an end to it inspite of the plastic feel to the cloth. There is a fabric stabilizers (I shan't name it) out there that does has the same plastic quality and, although it is on the back of the fabric piece, it doesn't stitch well at all ... makes it very hard on the machine and the glue coats the sewing machine needle ... just hate it ! There, my little rant for the day, but I totally understand ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharron. Tks for your comments. I'll post more pics of this one as I move through it. And I'm pretty sure I know the stabilizer of which you speak....I hate those ones that cause a build-up of glue on my machine needles. Yuck. I totally get it...rant on!!!! (but mostly, stitch on!!)

      Delete