Saturday, July 21, 2012

Gouache and Soy Wax, Further thoughts

These two pieces are from the Soy Wax workshop I took a couple of weeks ago.  The inspiration is, again, Beauport Abbey in Brittany.  In the top pic I have also applied Shiva paintsticks through a stencil I made based on another one of my pictures taken that day.  (There is lots to work with there, I haven't nearly finished exploring the ideas from my photos!!)   The shot below is again printed through the soy wax silk screen.  Both pieces are part of the book cover I am working on.....more on that later.
 This is what became of my gouache painting. I have applied it to a piece of watercolour paper that I had previously gessoed, painted, tissue papered (is that a verb???) and then repainted.  I applied the gouache painting with matte medium being careful to not get any on the painting itself.  That worked.  But what I did find is that in the places where there were now two layers of tissue paper, the paper retained a white misty look and didn't fuse as nicely with the background as it did where there was only one layer.  I painted over the parts that had no gouache on but I'm still not totally satisfied. 
 
What I really like about the gouache is that, being opaque, it stands up quite nicely against any paint that is under it, if the gouache is painted on full strength.  For instance, I really like that space between the windowsill and the wheelbarrow and the gouache kept that lovely dark colour and covered up the marks below.  And where some of the marks show through the wheelbarrow, well, I like that effect also. And the white gouache kept the crisp image of the windowsill. I was also pleased that, because I didn't have to put the image face down, in order to prevent smudging, I was able to retain that lovely velvety look of the gouache.  So, some successes!!! But I'm still not crazy about that mistiness.....
Oh well.  I'll ponder on it some more.......
Back soon..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment