Saturday, October 11, 2014

Le Musee du Petit Palais, Avignon

Yesterday we walked up to the Musee du Petit Palais.  It is 'home to Italian paintings from the 13th to the 16th centuries' and 'provides a panorama of Italian painting with works by Botticelli and Carpaccio..... The Petit Palais museum is a UNESCO Word Heritage site and is ranked as a "Musee de France".'  (quotes taken from a guide book we picked up at the Tourist Office.)  It is the only palace of a cardinal from the 14th century that is open to the public.



I spent an enjoyable hour wandering through the 18 rooms in the Palais whilst my guy sat and read Le Monde and waited for me in the Place du Palais. The Musee is in the northwest corner of Avignon.

 I believe this piece is called "The Visitation" and has been restored here at the Palais (that is my understanding, anyway.)  It has its own book called Acquerir, Restaurer, Attribuer.  I didn't purchase it, however (I know, such restraint, right???) but once again,  I was thinking about the weight of my suitcase!!!


And this, because I am just as fascinated by the building and by staircases in particular, is one of the staircases on the way out!!  It is quite a huge building!!

We then walked up the the english bookstore Camilli Books and Tea up in the northeast corner of the city where we walked along Rue Carnot.



And then on our way home, quite close to where we are staying, we walked through the Place des Corps Saints.  It seems to me that there is always a lovely breeze as we walk through this Place.  I am thinking I might go there and do some sketching in a couple of days.  We'll see how brave I get!!!



Today I came home after our jaunt up to the market for a few groceries, and painted a few small pics of some fruit (crabapples???) that  my guy picked on his walk across l'Ile de la Barthelasse the other day.  Rich colours that I am trying to find in my palette  (I'm pretty sure they're there, of course, I just need to find them!!!)



I may do some gelli plate printing later.  Or I may snooze.  Life is just filled with these tough decisions.

I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment