Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What I learned today...

Really, that sounds too hilarious....as if I should be writing the september class assignment "what I did during my summer holidays"...anyway, here's what I learned today.
OK, I started off with a monoprint of the coffee cup and the word Java!.  I then wrote onto the page, with permanent pen using words to describe coffees, anywhere I might want a shadow.  Then I wanted to play with matte medium and Yes! paste.  I know that matte medium creates something of a resist, so I painted matte medium everywhere I didn't want the paint to appear, including over some of the wording.  I also stamped here and there with the matte medium.  After that, I affixed some letters, cut out of rice paper, to the page using Yes! paste.  Then I started painting.  Paint on the copy paper (on the left) resisted the medium differently than on the paper of my sketchbook. I think I like the copy paper better, for here, anyway.  Where I had applied the letters with the paste wasn't extremely successful, I don't think, because the paste seemed to re-wet which I didn't like.  (I did discover, as a by-the-way, that Yes! paste is acid-free but not archival, just so you know.)  Here is a close-up of the cup.
All in all, it was a fun day. I suppose tomorrow I should think about housework.  Sometimes thinking can take up a lot of time.  I'll think about that, too. 

1 comment:

  1. Marny, this is just so joyous it makes me want to sing. It's wonderful that you're trying out so many new techniques, and even more wonderful that you're creating such amazing art. The housework will always wait......

    ReplyDelete