Friday, May 11, 2012

Journal start for Aix en Provence

We stayed in today.  We had thought to go into Aix today but for the first time I realized that the rhythm of France is not my own.  Here most places are open between 10 and 12 in the morning and then closed between 12 and 2 p.m. at which time most re-open and stay open until 6 or 7 in the evening.  I love to get up early and drink my coffee and read for several hours before I start my day.  I'm usually up before 6 but by the time I've spent some time reading, having breakfast, chatting with my guy, getting dressed, it's getting on for 10!!  (no apologies.....I'm retired for goodness sake!!!)  But then to go into town and get some chores done or to just poke about, would have taken more than two hours (at least my list for today would have).  And today it is hot.  And I'm not good at wandering around when it's hot.  So, I stayed in, relaxed, did some laundry, read out on the (covered) patio, did some painting, and hey, not a bad day after all!!!  
I've started a journal page for my week in Aix but it's not quite done yet.

Here is what I've managed so far.  As you can see, it really was a lazy day.  But that's all right.  Tomorrow we are driving to Carcassonne.  We generally stay off the toll roads and highways so according to Jill, our lady of the GPS, our journey tomorrow should take us about 5 1/2 hours.  And since we like to stop and poke about a bit, it will no doubt take longer.  And somewhere we'll have to stop and get a 'pain', and tomatoes, and brie!!!  Yes!!
We plan to set off really early, around 8.  (I have no trouble getting up and off early, lest you think I'm too slothful.....I just realized this morning that if I were to live here it might involve a slight cultural shift on my part, do-able, but a shift nonetheless!)


And today I am really missing these two little guys, the cousins, my two little grandsons.  Here they are the morning we left, checking the locks on my luggage.  They really are sweet beyond words!
So we are leaving Provence and heading west.  This coming week is broken up into three different bed and breakfast stays but I believe they all have wifi.  I guess I'll let you know......back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment